Dosbarth 5

Work for week beginning 13th July 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

Well it is the last week of school this week and I can’t believe how quickly it has come around. It is time to say goodbye to our lovely Year 6 children and wish them the best of luck as they move on to the next chapter of their lives. It has been an absolute pleasure to teach them and I am really sad to see them go. It is not the end to the year that we would have hoped for but we want to wish you all the best of luck and send you on to your new school with lots of love.

Image

As it is the last week of school this week, try and catch up with any of the activities that you haven’t completed.

As well as that finish reading Kensuke’s Kingdom and try the different activities below.

Task 1

Read the description of the island when Michael first explores around it and then create your own map and drawings of the island.

T2-E-729-Kensukes-Kingdom-Map-Drawing-Activity-Worksheet (1)

kensukeskingdommap_0

Task 2

Michael had to survive on the island and was lucky enough to have a cave to shelter in. Try to make your own shelter using things that you might find on an island. You could use branches, rope and material to create your own shelter. You could even try to see if it would be waterproof !

Task 3

Think about the character of Michael and either create a missing poster to put up for when he first goes missing, or create a character profile of Michael and how he changes after his time on the island.

T2-E-734-Kensukes-Kingdom-Michael-Missing-Poster-Writing-FrameT2-E-733-Kensukes-Kingdom-Michael-Character-Profile-Writing-Frame

Finally start thinking about the new year. Write about the things that you are looking forward to and the things you are nervous about. What are the subjects you are excited to learn and what things do you think that you will need help with. When you have finished this please send it to me.

Work for

week beginning 6th July 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

It was really lovely to see some of you last week and I feel really proud of the way that you all adapted to the changes in class. For the children who are not able to come in to school at the moment, I am thinking about you all so please remember to contact me if you need anything. My email address is jonesc1931@hwbmail.net. Even if you just want to work on your emailing skills, send me a message and I will reply. I always love to hear from you!

For the Y5 children have a little think about anything that you might need help with over the summer holidays and I will try to sort it out for you. For the Y6 children, if you haven’t sent me your memories and photos for leavers please can you do as soon as possible as I am trying to do something for the end of term and I don’t want to miss anyone out.

Leighton Cross, who works in the Dove workshop running the Digi club is trying to carry out a project about the lock down and would like your help. He would like you to create video diaries about what life is like during lock down. If you would like to do this please let me know and I will pass your video on to him.

Here is the work for this week.

Use the link from last week to read Chapters 3 and 4 from Kensuke’s kingdom then complete the tasks below.

Task 1

Create a persuasive advert to encourage people to buy the boat the “Peggy Sue”. Look at the example below and remember to use key features in your own advert.

Persuasive-Advert

Task 2

Look at the task below and decide what different items you would take on this journey and decide which items would be the most important.

Deciding on objects to take on my journey

Choosing objects for my journey around the world

English

Here are your spelling skills for this week.

Year 6 Spelling skills Unit 26

Year 5 Spelling skills Unit 26

Maths

We are carrying on with coordinates, translating and reflecting shapes this week. Please let me know if you need any help with this as some parts are a little difficult.

Y6 reading coordinates and translating and reflecting shapes

Y5 drawing and reflecting shapes using coordinates

If you want to reinforce your work on coordinates, then a great game to play is battleships. Have a go at the task below.

Coordinate-Battleships—Differentiated

Work for week beginning 29th June 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

This is a very exciting week for us in school as we are welcoming some of you back in to the class. For the children who are not coming back in don’t worry as distance learning will continue on this page. For the children coming in to school, I will be meeting you by the front door of the school and I will take you to our class. We may have signs, hand washing stations and less desks in the class but it is still our class and I am sure that you will get used to following the new rules very quickly. I am very excited!

Let me show you where you will come in to school and what our classroom looks like now.

Firstly you will come in to school using the main door. You will see posters reminding you about the social distancing guidelines.

ImageImage

You will need to line up outside remembering to stay 2m apart.

ImageImage

Then when you come in to school there is a hand sanitiser station. Then in class we will go straight to wash our hands.

ImageImage

Then in our class we have less desks as they are spaced out. We also have a line that reminds you to go straight to the sink to wash your hands.

ImageImage

Each child has their own set of resources in a zip lock bag and a reminder of the rules of the class now.

Image previewImage

We are going to carry on reading the book Kensuke’s Kingdom so try to read Chapter 3.

Task 1

Once you have read chapter 3 I would like you to use a dictionary to find the definitions of some of the vocabulary in the chapter. These words are:

gale      bow      gannet     winch    pitch     veer     guardrail

Task 2

As you read chapter 3 create a table showing the places the family sailed to and the dates that they visited there. Then map the places on a world map using an atlas to show where they went.

English

Spelling skills year 6 unit 25

Spelling skills year 5 unit 25

Maths

This week, we are going to learn about coordinates. Firstly remind yourself about coordinates by watching the clip from BBC bitesize.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zgthvcw/articles/z96k9qt

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/clips/z7qmpv4

Year 6 reading coordinates in 4 quadrants p77

Year 5 using coordinates and translating shapes

Coordinates

A point on a grid has two numbers to identify its position. These numbers are known as coordinates.

Coordinates are always written as the number of steps across first, then the number of steps up or down.

Grids have two axes. The horizontal axis is called the x-axis and the vertical axis is called the y-axis. These axes can be used to find a point on a grid.

If you feel confident finding the coordinates in the first quadrant, try finding coordinates in all four quadrants.

https://youtu.be/1O12C9EcdFo

Work for week beginning 22nd June 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

I hope that you have all had a lovely weekend! Welcome back to a new week of learning. A huge well done to the children who have completed all of the tasks. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing and please remember you can email me at any time if you have a questions, if you are stuck with your work or if you need a chat. I love to hear from you!

English

Spelling skills

Y5 spelling skills Unit 24

Y6 spelling skills Unit 24

Maths

Y5 multiplying and dividing

Y6 short division problems

Topic

I hope that you enjoyed the first chapter of Kensuke’s Kingdom. I would like you to read chapter 2 and then complete Task 1.

Kensuke’s Kingdom Chapter 2

Task 1

In the story Michael’s father decides that the family will sail around the world together.

Do you think that it would be a good idea for your family to do something like this?

Create a chart with your reasons FOR and AGAINST. You could make it like the one below.

Kensuke’s Kingdom for and against sheet

Work for week beginning 15th June 2020

Parents, please see attached a letter regarding pupils returning to school from 29th June 2020.

Parent Letter 120620 Eng

Bore da! Good morning!

I am so impressed with the children who have sent me their work on HWB for the leavers. Thank you to the Y6 children who have sent me their memories and photographs. If you have not done this yet, please can you do it as soon as possible as I am trying to organise something for the Y6 Leavers. Please can the Y5 children complete the leavers task from last week as I would love to have your goodbyes to the Y6 children included.

This week we are going to be looking at a new book called Kensuke’s Kingdom. It is a fabulous book and I love to read it. I will be sharing different parts of the book with you this week.Kensuke's kingdom

Kensuke's Kingdom: Amazon.co.uk: Morpurgo, Michael: Books

Firstly I would like you to look at the cover and read the blurb and then answer the questions.

Looking at the cover and the blurb of the book – Kensuke’s Kingdom

Then read Chapter 1 below and answer the questions from the guided reading sheet.

kensukes_kingdom_by_michael_morpurgo

Kensukes-Kingdom-Chapter-1-Guided-Reading

Choose 10 words that are new to you and use a dictionary to find the definitions of the words. You could also put these words in to a new sentence.

English

Y5 spelling skills unit 23

Y6 spelling skills unit 23

Maths

We are carrying on with multiplication this week. Remember to use the clips below to help you or to visit BBC bitesize for support.

Y5 multiplying 3 and 4 digit numbers by 1 digit

Y6 multiplication using the grid method

Work for week beginning 8th June 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

I hope that you are all well and that you have enjoyed working on your own topic. Thank you to the children who have sent me an email telling me what about your topic. Great work and really interesting topics! Also a huge well done to the children who have replied to me using Flipgrid. I have sent you all an email with a link to do this so if you haven’t done this yet, please try to do this as soon as you can as I will be sending another one. Let me know if you are having difficulty doing this either by emailing me or contacting the school.

This week I have an important task that I need you to do. As we are getting nearer the end of the term, I want to make sure that we have a leavers celebration. This might be in school or it might be online.

Firstly I want to say a huge thank you to the PTA for arranging the leavers hoodies and for delivering them to you all. I have seen some pictures and they look fantastic! Please send me a photo of yourself in your hoodie if you haven’t already done so. I want us to prepare for an end of year celebration so I urgently need your input.

I want all of the year 6 children to send me their memories by Friday. I also would like all Year 6 children to send me photos from when you were young as well as a photo of you in your new Leavers hoodie. Thank you so much to the children who have already sent me these.

I want all of the year 5 children to think about the children in Year 6 and why they have been good friends for you. You could tell me about one pupil or all of the pupils. Also think about what you are going to miss about them when they leave. I need to have this by Friday please.

English

Y5 spelling skills Unit 22

Y6 spelling skills Unit 22

Maths

This week we are going to be looking at short and long multiplication. Here is some information to help you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zjbyvk7

Short multiplication:

To multiply 237 by 4 without using a calculator, you can set it out like this:

1. Start with 4 x 7, which is 28, so write the 8 and carry the 2 to the tens column.
2. 4 x 3 = 12, but remember to add the carried 2 to get 14. Write the 4 and carry the 1 to the hundreds column.
3. 4 x 2 = 8, and we add the carried 1 to get 9.

Therefore:

237 x 4 = 948

This method is called short multiplication.

Long multiplication

On the link above from BBC bitesize there is a video from Maths with Parents will help you understand how to do long multiplication. 

Below is a clip showing you how to use the grid method to complete long multiplication.

Y6 Multiplying 3 and 4 digit numbers

Y5 multiplying 3 digit s by 1 digit number

Work for week beginning 1st June 2020

Bore da! Good morning!

I hope that you all had a lovely week off in the sunshine. I know I enjoyed being outside in my garden with my family. If you would like to let me know what you did during half term, please email me it is lovely when I hear from you. As we start the last half of the Summer term, I am sure that lots of you have worries either about whether we are coming back to school or not or if you are in Year 6, moving to a new school. Even though I am not seeing you every day, I am here to answer any questions or worries that you have and I will be trying to make sure that you all feel happy and confident about any changes. Please contact me with any questions or worries at jonesc1931@hwbmail.net. I am thinking of a way that we can chat about these so keep an eye on the website and your emails this week!

I had great ideas for a new topic from you but they were so different it was hard for me to choose one! So this week I would like you to choose your own topic. You could find out about another country, or the space launch that happened over the weekend, you could do your work on a hobby such as sport or gaming or your favourite author or musician.

1. Choose your topic and then create a mind map of ideas that you can complete linked to your topic.How to Mind Map                              Here are some ideas to help you to create yours.Mind Maps for KidsWater Mind Map
  2. Decide if you are going to create a fact file, information leaflet or PowerPoint about your topic. Remember these will need to be persuasive as you want your readers to be as enthusiastic as you are about your topic. You can them all using the computer of HWB or you could create your fact file or information leaflet on paper.
  3. Then prepare a speech to present your topic. You can record this on HWB and I will be able to see it. Think about speaking clearly and trying to persuade your audience that your topic is fantastic! You can use the rule of three i.e rugby is energetic, engaging and excellent, similes, metaphors and personification, emotive language i.e. The space launch was the most amazing event that I have every witnessed! and any other key features that we have been using in persuasive writing in class.

Good luck with your presentation! I am putting Spelling skills and Maths work on the website as I usually do but remember that you can complete any other work in the books that I gave your before we left school. The challenges this week will be linked to your Topic.

English

Y5 spelling skills Unit 21

Y6 spelling skills Unit 21

Maths

Y5 column subtraction

Y6 Addition and subtraction word problems

Topic

Challenge planning sheet 1st June 2020

Language mat Hobiau

Important note for parents:

Please see attached a ‘Parental Survey’ sent by the Local Authority to ascertain views of parents regarding a phased return of schooling for pupils. Please could you complete the survey by the 27th May and email it to school; maesmarchogprimary@npt.school. Alternatively, you can drop off the completed survey off at school on Wednesday or Friday this week. Thank you.

Parental Questionnaire

Image

Work for week beginning 18th May 2020

Bore da ! Good Morning!

Hope that you are all safe and well. Thank you very much to all of the children and families who have been working so hard on your home learning! It is wonderful to see the different pieces of work that are being sent to me. Please continue to email me if you have any questions or concerns or if you just want to say hello. This week is Mental Health Awareness week and the theme this year is “kindness”. When times are so different at the moment it is really important that we remember to be kind to each other and to ourselves. So I have a weekly kindness task for you to challenge yourself.

Finham Languages's tweet - "Tomorrow sees the start of Mental ...

Keep up the excellent work this week remember how proud I am of the way that you are working so independently at home. Also a huge thank you to your families who are supporting you with your learning. You are all superstars!

English

Year 5 spelling skills Unit 20

Year 6 spelling skills Unit 20

I thought that as part of the 7 day kindness challenge it would be great if you could send a letter to someone who you are not able to see at the moment. It could be a friend, a relative or someone in school so here is some information to help you to write your own informal  letter.

Example informal letter

Exemplar Checklist

Letter writing sheets to print out

Word Mat

Maths

This week we will be looking at subtraction using the column method. Remember if you want more maths work to do, then use the textbooks that you took home.

Y5 subtracting 4 digit numbers using the column method

Y6 subtraction using the column method

Topic

This will be the last week of work on the Titanic. I hope that you have enjoyed working on the different tasks. I have loved finding out different information as I love history! I loved looking at the different sources especially the photographs.

I want you to help me with the next set of work. I would like your ideas of what topic we should look at next so I want you to email me your ideas!! Make them interesting!

Also I thought that it would be nice for Year 6 children to start thinking about creating a leavers book. Firstly, I would like you to look to see if you have any photos of yourself when you were small. you could email them to me and I can start creating a Year 6 Leavers book. A maximum of 5 would be great! Don’t worry if you are not able to do this. We will think of a way to do this. I have photographs in school that I can use from our class and from when you were younger. Here are some things that can help you with your Leavers book.

My Favourite Memory Recount

My Time at School Reflection Sheet

Planning Your Leavers Assembly

Writing My Future – An Autobiography

I know we might not be able to have an actual Leavers assembly but if we can’t then I am determined that we will have a virtual one!

Here is your new challenge sheet. This can be completed over two weeks. I have included the sheets that you might need to help you to complete the tasks.

Challenge planning sheet 18th May

Titanic acrostic poem sheet

Letter from Rhys to Ceri

Here are the different cards and sheets that you will need to complete the maths challenge. There is a completed answer sheet for you to check your answers once you have completed the task.

Titanic Lifeboats Powerpoint

Handling Data Task Instructions

Titanic Lifeboat Data Cards

Titanic Lifeboat Pictogram

Titanic Lifeboat Table Activity Sheet

Titanic Lifeboat Whole Class Spreadsheet

Titanic Lifeboat Completed Answer Spreadsheet

Here are the different Science investigations for the Science and technology challenge.

ImageImage

Image

Work for week beginning 11th May 2020

For the attention of Year 6 pupils and their parents/carers

Llangatwg Community Comprehensive school have asked us to pass on an information letter for Year 6 pupils. Along with this, they have included a Question and answer sheet with the most asked questions regarding transition to the school. If you have any concerns or questions then please email me and I will pass them on.

Year 6 Letter from Llangatwg Community Comprehensive School

Questions and Answers regarding transition

Bore da ! Good morning!

Hope that you are all safe and well after a lovely bank holiday. Did you celebrate V.E. day? I did, we had a cream tea and sat on our front lawn with all of our neighbours doing the same. It was great to have something to celebrate. Remember if you have any photos of your celebrations that you  would like to share with our class then please email them to me and I will put them on to our class page.

I am feeling really proud of you all for working so hard every week. I know that this is very different to how we normally work and so a massive well done to you all. I am trying not to put too much work for you to do but if you want extra please let me know. Also if you are struggling to keep up with the work, please don’t worry, do the work at your own pace. Here is the work for this week, remember the challenges that I put up last week are for this week too.

English

Spelling skills

Year 5 Spelling skills Unit 19

Year 6 Spelling skills Unit 19

Punctuation

Punctuation proof reading

Punctuation proof reading answer sheet

Maths

This week we will be working on column addition. If you complete the task then you can work on extra tasks using the textbook that you took home.

Year 5 adding pounds and pence using the column method

Year 6 adding using the column method and subtracting using mental maths

I have included a speed table and number puzzles for you to try.

Speed table

Maths puzzle multiples of 2

Maths puzzle multiples of 6

Topic

Task 1 – ICT databases

This week we are going to be looking at information about the passengers who have travelled on the Titanic. Then we are going to use a database to capture the different data. Firstly look at the video guide to remind you how to create a database on J2 data.

Then look at the passenger cards. Use the Passenger Cards to create a database of information about these passengers. Begin by creating the headings for the columns in the top row. Think carefully about which headings you want to use to sort and organise your data with. What will make it easier to find the information you need? Then look at the challenge cards 1D at the bottom of the passenger cards and complete two of these tasks.

Titanic Computing Work1

Task 2 – Geography skills

Read the PowerPoint about how to use latitude and longitude co-ordinates to locate important places in the Titanic’s journey. After you have read the PowerPoint carefully then try to complete the different tasks. They start easier and get harder so try to challenge yourself.

Titanic geography presentation

Titanic Geography Work1

Work for week beginning 4th May 2020

For the attention of Year 6 children and their parents

The Educational Psychology Service (EPS) at Neath Port Talbot (NPT) Local Authority are doing some research to explore children and young people’s experience of the COVID-19 school closures. Currently, there appears to be a lot of information about how adults feel children are being affected but we have limited views from children and young people themselves. So if you are Year 6 please can you click on the link below and complete the online survey. There is a letter attached which is for your parents to read. Thank you for your support.

INFORMATION FOR PARENTS Educational Psychology survey

Year 6 pupil questionnaire link:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=Ug4_TzS3ZEGUCRtgHRR5k5FY89nzznNKhCkMZLbsFqpUNEo0OEZTQUtCQUQ1V0ZIUlRYMU5SQlo1WC4u

Hello Class 5! Helo dosbarth 5!

I hope that you are all safe and well. I have been really impressed with the amount of children in our class who have been emailing and sending work to me. You should be so proud of yourselves for working so hard when it is so different from the usual way that we work in class. I know that I am not there with you but I am always here to answer any questions if you are stuck or to check and mark any completed tasks. I will be adding a new challenge sheet this week but don’t worry if you haven’t completed the last tasks yet.

I hope that you are finding the work on the Titanic interesting, I know that I am! I have included a V.E. day celebration in your challenges this week as it is V.E. celebration on Friday. I plan to have a party in my garden if the weather is nice enough. What are your plans?

If you have a printer you might like to print out some bunting to decorate your house. If you don’t have a printer, perhaps you could make some of your own.

Display Bunting V.E.Day

Union flag bunting

English

Spelling skills

Year 5 Spelling skills Unit 18

Year 6 Spelling skills Unit 18

Maths

Year 5 place value and ordering 6 digit numbers

Year 6 reading and comparing place value in 7 digit numbers

If you complete this maths work remember to use the textbook that you took home and complete pages from there.

Topic

Task 1 – Diary recount

Using the character sheet that you completed last week, I want you to write a diary recount for your character as they begin their journey on the Titanic. Start with the first moment that he or she saw the ship and then end as the ship is sinking. Try to include similes, metaphors and personification as you are describing the ship. e.g

It towered like a mountain above her. (simile)

The Titanic was a floating island of luxury. (metaphor)

The guts of the Titanic lay spilled out across the ocean floor.(personification)

Here is an exemplar Diary recount to help you to start your own.

Titanic diary example

Science

Task 2 – Science investigation

Read the information about what icebergs are and why they float then complete the investigation on water density using one of the sheets. You only need to do one of the sheets they are marked 1a, 1b and 1c. 1a is easier and 1c is more detailed. If you can’t print out the sheets then just copy the information and complete the investigation straight in to your book. If you don’t have baking powder then just use salt and sugar. Your Science challenge is to create your own iceberg so after you have completed this, you can create your own investigation.

What are icebergs and why do they float information sheet

Titanic Science investigation sheets

Challenge sheet

Here is your challenge sheet for this week and next week. I will put document below it to help you to complete the tasks. If you need anything else please let me know.

Challenge planning sheet 4th May 2020

Here are some sheets to help you to complete the English task.

Titanic tragedy newspaper report

KS2 Newspaper Report

Here are welsh language patterns that can help you with your welsh work.

patrymau iaith bl 5 a 6 with english

Maths challenge sheets

Year 5 Titanic Maths

Year 6 Titanic Maths

Work for week beginning 27th April 2020

Hello again Class 5. Bore da, Sut wyt ti?

This is the second week of our new way of learning using the website and I hope that you have all been able to find our class work either on here or on HWB. A huge thank you to all of the children who have been sending me e mails either to ask about work or to show me completed tasks. If you haven’t done this yet or if you have any questions please get in touch my e mail is jonesc1931@hwbmail.net  Also a huge well done to the children who have shared completed tasks with me on HWB. I am looking at your files regularly to see if anyone has added any tasks.

I hope that you have enjoyed finding out about the Titanic. I know that I have enjoyed finding different activities , so keep an eye on the website as I will be adding different tasks throughout the week.

Please find below the tasks for this week.

English

Spelling skills

Year 5 Spelling skills Unit 17

Year 6 Spelling skills Unit 17

Maths

This week we will carry on with Place value but remember you can also complete different Maths tasks using the maths textbooks that you took home with you.

Year 5 place value of 6 digit numbers

Year 6 place value

Topic

As we are learning about the Titanic and what happened on that fateful night, here are some documents that might help you with your tasks. Firstly a power point with key facts and then a selection of historical sources which we will be using to help you to complete the work.

The Titanic

Sources

Task 1 – I would like you to research information about some of the first class passengers on board the ship. Try to find information and pictures of the different people.

Titanic – Passengers research

Task 2 – Using the sources above, complete the history detectives booklet. I want you to find out what primary and secondary history sources are and then use these to be a history detective. Good luck!

History Detectives Booklet

Task 3 – Next week, we will be writing a recount of a passenger on board the Titanic. So to prepare for this, you are going to plan your character using the sheets below.

Titanic recount

Character sheet

Work for week beginning 20th April 2020

Bore da dosbarth 5! Good morning class 5!

I hope you and your families are safe and well and enjoying the lovely weather we have been having. It feels very strange not being back in school this week and I’m sure that some of you are finding it hard trying to do your school work at home. We are trying to make things easier for you by using this page where you can access your weekly tasks as well as putting them on shared files in HWB. Remember you can e mail me with any questions or if you need help and when you have completed the tasks, you can either share them with me or take a photo and attach it to an e mail. This week and next week we will be learning about the Titanic! I know lots of you wanted to do this mini topic so I thought this would be a great time to do this work. Hope you enjoy the tasks.

Missing you all

Mrs. Jones

Challenge planning sheet 20th April 2020

t2-t-16483-what-was-the-titanic-powerpoint_ver_5

Research sheet

Spelling skills year 5 unit 16

Spelling skills year 6 unit 16

Year 6 reading and writing 7 digit numbers

Year 5 place value 6 digit numbers

Remember to keep on doing exercise while we are not in school. I have been playing tennis, rugby, American football and of course I have been joining in with Joe Wicks every morning. Why not give it a go!