Dosbarth 4

29/06/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

I hope you have all had a great week! I am looking forward to welcoming many of you back into school this week. I will be greeting you at the gate on the bottom yard and we will walk up the steps to the top yard into our classroom. The classroom looks a bit different but I’m sure you will settle in quickly. There are lots of signs and hand washing stations around the school to help you along the way. I will also keep updating this distance learning page for those of you who are not coming back just yet.

Stay safe and I will see some of you very soon!

Mr Nesbitt

Maths

Fractions

The top number in a fraction is called the NUMERATOR and the bottom number is called the DENOMINATOR 

Continue with fractions in the link below.

fractions of amounts – I have attached lots of different levels of work. work from the start and progress through.

comparing and ordering fractions

finding fractions of amounts can be tricky but there are tricks to help you and make it easier!

To find fractions of an amount – divide the number by the denominator then times it by the numerator.

Continue to practice your multiplication skills by doing these problems: 

3 Times Tables – activity Booklet

ultimate times table activity pack

Try these multiplications using the partitioning method like we do in the classroom:

11 x 9 =

19 x 5=

15 x 9=

19 x 4=

25 x 10 =

24 x 8 =

Literacy

Persuasive writing

Persuasive writing in Advertisements-Powerpoint

First write a film review about a film you have recently watched

film review

Next advertise the film for your friends and family

advertisment poster – you can also try the tasks that it asks of you.

persuasive writing mobile phones in school – You can also try this as a challenge

Spelling skills

Year 3/4 spelling words- Practice spelling 10 words and put them into extended sentences. Remember your grammar and punctuation.

Common exception words 3 and 4

I have adapted a power point presentation to include year 3/4 spelling words alongside some topic word spellings. Each day you will have a word to practice spelling by using different skills and techniques. At the end of the week- Friday there is a fun writing task where you incorporate all of the words you have practised into a story. Remember to use your imagination and try to include the spelling words you have practised.

word of the week 5

Complete week of word of the week.

Welsh

Its important to be practising your Welsh language patterns while you are at home. You can do this with an adult or brother/sister or even on your own.

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

welsh word mat – practice using some of these patterns like we do in the classroom.

welsh powerpoint – What do you enjoy doing? practice your language patterns using the sentence starters in this power point.

Topic

Try this worksheet about our bodies joints!

Joints

Research what types of joints we have and what their different functions are. Draw a skeleton and label the different joints that you have.

22/06/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

I hope you have all had a great week! The weather hasn’t been great but we have some lovely warm weather coming this week. Remember to keep doing fun activities and exercise alongside your work. Its been great to read emails off many of you updating me with what you have been doing.

Remember that you can upload work to HWB for me to see or you can email it over to me to see how well you are doing. In case you have forgotten my email is nesbitto6@hwbcymru.net. You can email me to ask for any help or anything that you may need too!

Thank you all very much for working hard at home! Keep it up everyone, we can do this!

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

blank challenges

Have a go at creating your own challenges like we do in the classroom. Be creative with your ideas and think about what fun activities you would like to do.

Maths

Continue with your maths workbooks 2 pages a day. Additionally there are workbooks that I have attached below.

Fractions

fractions of shapes – start off by looking at fractions of shapes

3 Times Tables – activity Booklet

ultimate times table activity pack

14 x 6 =

17 x 5=

13 x 9=

19 x 6=

22 x 10 =

24 x 7 =

You can also work through these addition and subtraction workbooks, there are some great challenges within. Select a level which you feel you are most comfortable with: level 1, 2 or 3. Or, you can do a mixture of levels !

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

(click rotate clockwise 3 times if the page has turned sideways).

Literacy

Prefixes go at the beginning of words and they change the meaning of the word.

Prefixes-Worksheet 1

Suffixes go on the end of words and they also change the meaning of the word.

Suffixes-Worksheet 1

prefix and suffix challenge

Can you create some extended sentences using some of the prefixes and suffixes you have worked with?

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 5

Complete week of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

Skeleton fill in gaps

Comprehension – Bones – Carefully read the information on bones and answer the questions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z849q6f/articles/z7w8pg8

This is a link for BBC bitesize to help you learn about rivers.

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity    -Challenge sheets

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Remember to stay active, this will also help you to concentrate when you come to doing your work activities. This is just as important as all lessons and work you do.  Set yourself challenges:

How many squats can you do in a minute?   First I did 2689– how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 1246 – How many squats did I do in total?

How many press ups can you do in a minute?   I did 2311   – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 1342 – How many press ups did I do in total?

Remember our circuit training sessions we done in PE. Deign a circuit with 4 or 5 exercises and complete each exercise for 30 seconds with 30 seconds rest in between. Ideas of exercises – press ups, sit ups, star jumps, squats, jump squats, lunges, skipping, running, burpees.

You can also track your heart rate by finding your pulse, counting how many times it beats in 30 seconds then times this number by 2 (beats per minute). Remember how we done this in our PE sessions.

You could write down your heart rate after each of your sessions and at the end of the week, create a line graph to show your results.

Joe Wicks does daily exercise sessions at 9 am that are very fun. Give it a go!

Useful links:

BBC bitesize –                 https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn

Minecraft coding–     https://code.org/minecraft

Tt rock stars –    https://ttrockstars.com/

I have updates your times tables so you can keep challenging yourself

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

15/06/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

I hope you have all had a great week and have been enjoying this weather. Remember to keep doing fun activities and exercise alongside your work. Its been great to read emails off many of you updating me with what you have been doing.

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

blank challenges

Maths

With your knowledge of subtraction from previous weeks using a variety of methods (column, number bonds, mental strategies), try these money problems. There are 3 different levels, pick a level you are comfortable with or if you want a challenge, complete them all!

subtracting money 3 levels

Try these money challenges:

adding-money-3-sheets – 3 levels of work

Money Word Problems 3 levels

You can also continue to practice your multiplication skills by doing these problems: 

3 Times Tables – activity Booklet

ultimate times table activity pack

14 x 4 =

17 x 3=

13 x 7=

19 x 2=

22 x 8 =

24 x 5 =

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

Prefixes-Worksheet 1

Suffixes-Worksheet 1

prefix and suffix challenge

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 5

Complete week of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

Skeleton fill in gaps

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

08/06/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

I have attached a parental questionnaire to ascertain views of parents regarding a phased return to schooling for pupils. Could any responses be e-mailed to school maesmarchogprimary@npt.school. Alternatively, parents could drop completed paper surveys off at school on Wednesday or Friday of this week when Mrs John would be at school.

Parental Questionnaire

Bore da!

Mr Nesbitt

This is Ivor, my puppy. He hopes you all have a great week!

Challenges

blank challenges

Maths

subtracting money 3 levels

Try these money challenges:

make amounts- money  – 3 levels of work

3 Times Tables – activity Booklet

ultimate times table activity pack

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

I have attached some more grammar and punctuation work to ensure we keep practising these key skills. This will help us become brilliant year 3 and 4 readers and writers. Don’t forget to keep practising your spelling skills, putting your common exception words into extended sentences.

speech marks – punctuate the sentences with speech marks. Can you create your own extended sentences with the correct punctuation?

punctuating –  Put in the correct punctuation in the sentences. Think about in speech marks (“ “), exclamation marks (!), full stops (.), commas (,) and capital letters.

Challenge – 

1) Can you write about what you done last week. Remember to include the correct punctuation where required.

2) Create an imaginative short story. Remember to include the correct punctuation where required. 

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 5

Complete week 5 of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

Hopefully you found lots of interesting information about the body when you brain stormed last week. This week, lets learn more about bones in our body.

1. make a list of all the bones that you can think of. Draw a diagram of your body and label where you think these bones are located.

Complete this labelling activity and compare your original diagram to this. How many bones did you get correct?

Human Skeleton Labelling

bones challenge – try this fun challenge

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

01/06/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

Parental Questionnaire

Bore da!

I hope you have all had a great week and have been enjoying this weather. Remember to keep doing fun activities and exercise alongside your work. Its been great to read emails off many of you updating me with what you have been doing in this great weather. Today is the start of the second half of our summer term, we have made so much progress so far, lets keep up the hard work everyone !

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges 3

Maths

With your knowledge of addition from previous weeks using a variety of methods (column, partitioning), try these money problems. There are 3 different levels, pick a level you are comfortable with or if you want a challenge, complete them all!

adding money-3-sheets

Try these column subtraction problems:

column subtraction no regrouping

column subtraction with regrouping

Column Subtraction Word Problems

Multiplication Problems

multiplication wheel

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

Challenge – 

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 3

Complete week 5 of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

When we brain stormed in the classroom about new topic ideas you came up with some great suggestions. One of those suggestions was all about the human body, in particular the bones, muscles and organs.

Lets brainstorm about what you know about your bodies. Write down what you would like to learn about and we can then explore these ideas further. Think about:

• Bones
  • Muscles
  • Healthy balanced diet
  • Breathing
  • Heart
  • Exercise- effects on the body

Blank mindmap template

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

18/05/2020

Bore da dosbarth 4!

I have attached a parental questionnaire to ascertain views of parents regarding a phased return to schooling for pupils.Could you please complete surveys no later than the 27th and any responses to be e-mailed to school maesmarchogprimary@npt.school.Alternatively, parents could drop completed paper surveys off at school on Wednesday or Friday of this week when Mrs John would be at school.

Parental Questionnaire

Hopefully you’re all keeping busy again. I have seen some of your great work so keep it up!

Its been great to read emails off many of you updating me with how you’re doing and showing me your work.

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges 3

Maths

Try these column addition and subtraction worksheets. There are 3 levels of work in each work document. Choose a level you are most comfortable with, or you can try them all!

Column addition worksheets – 3 levels of work with an added challenge

Column Subtraction Worksheets – 3 levels of work

Multiplication problems: 

Multiplication Problems

multiplication wheel

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

I have attached some more grammar and punctuation work to ensure we keep practising these key skills. This will help us become brilliant year 3 and 4 readers and writers. Don’t forget to keep practising your spelling skills, putting your common exception words into extended sentences.

apostrophes matching cards –

match the words to their shorted forms (contracted words).

Can not = Can’t                   Then put them into extended sentences.

verbs and adjectives – 

You can even use a thesaurus or google to look for synonyms for the words to change.

alien adjectives – Choose appropriate adjectives to write before the nouns. Re-write the extract in your best handwriting.

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 3

Complete week 4 of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

There are many rivers in the UK and you may even know some and see them around you. But some rivers are very big and important, these are ‘main rivers’. Lets research some of these rivers in the UK and the oceans  they flow into.

features of a river – power point presentation about features of rivers. In your books make notes about the key information in the presentation, include diagrams like the ones you see.

Try and think about examples you see around you in your local area.

rivers word search and task

River research notes

Write down your notes on the template on the above link or make your own.

Can you create a fact file about rivers from your research?

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Remember to stay active, this will also help you to concentrate when you come to doing your work activities. This is just as important as all lessons and work you do.  Set yourself challenges:

How many squats can you do in a minute?   First I did 2421– how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 1022 – How many squats did I do in total?

How many press ups can you do in a minute?   I did 1002   – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 342 – How many press ups did I do in total?

Useful links:

BBC bitesize –                 https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/zbr9wmn

Tt rock stars –    https://ttrockstars.com/

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

11/05/2020

Hello Class 4!

I hope you all enjoyed the weekend and any VE day celebrations or activities you took part in. If you would like to send me any pictures of what you done on VE then that would be great.

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges 3

Maths

Try these estimation challenges:

Estimating Calculations – level 1

Estimating Calculations – level 2

Estimating Calculations – level 3

work through these addition and subtraction workbooks, there are some great challenges within. Select a level which you feel you are most comfortable with: level 1, 2 or 3. Or, you can do a mixture of levels !

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

This week we will look at some grammar and punctuation, which will help us all with our reading and writing skills.

first, if you haven’t finished last weeks work then complete those activities before moving onto the grammar and punctuation.

Capital letters and full stops- all

Full stops & capital letters- level 1

capital letters and full stops- level 2

punctuate the story

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 3

Complete week 3 of word of the week.

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

Dictionary hunt  – Find the dictionary definitions of these words associated with rivers and seas.

Carry out research on rivers, here are some points you may want to research / consider.

Where do rivers originate?

What is the longest river in the World / UK?

Biggest animals that live in rivers?

Are towns/ Cities usually build around rivers and why?

River research notes

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

Hello Class 4!

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges 2

Maths

Continue with your maths workbooks 2 pages a day

place value elicitation  – try this to practice your place value skills

addition and subtraction – level 1

addition and subtraction – level 2

addition and subtraction – level 3  

Literacy

Capital letters and full stops- all

Full stops & capital letters- level 1

capital letters and full stops- level 2

punctuate the story

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week 2

Welsh

Bob dydd– Everyday language patterns

Topic

UK rivers and seas

river facts   – Challenge work

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

How many squats can you do in a minute?   First I did 1749– how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 288 – How many squats did I do in total?

How many press ups can you do in a minute?   I did 1954   – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 451 – How many press ups did I do in total?

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

Hello Class 4!

Well done everyone for doing lots of exercise and work activities while you are at home, I hope you are finding the activities fun!

The weather has taken a change this week which is a shame, but remember to keep busy and active around the house. Complete work tasks when you can and sneak some exercises in in between, lots of press ups!

Keep up the hard work everyone,  I know it is difficult to do work at home sometimes but its good to try and keep in some sort of routine. You can always email me if you need any help or have questions about anything and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges 2

Maths

Number Sequences – 3 Levels       this is adding 2 and 3 to a variety of numbers

word problems addition and subtraction     here are some addition and subtraction problems for you to try.

LO: State 1, 10 or 100 larger or smaller than 2 or 3 digit numbers

Literacy

We will look at a book called ‘Dolphin Boy’ by Michael Morpurgo.

click on this link:

http://mir.pravo.by/webroot/delivery/files/books/Dolphin%20Boy.pdf

1. Using Dolphin Boy – look at the cover (the first picture on the link) and title and think about what the story is about, write down your ideas. Read the first page of the story.

Activity
What do you think will happen next in the story? Build on your ideas that you wrote earlier about the title and book cover.

Brain storm ideas that you think may happen next in the story.

2. Using your previous notes, write what you think happens next in the story. Remember to check your grammar and punctuation when               you have finished. Have you used speech marks when someone is talking? Have you used capital letters and full stops?

3.  Read the next page of the book. Was your written part of the story similar to what you read?

Activity

look at websites to collate factual information about Bottlenose dolphins. Write down facts that relate to the story to make it more or less likely to have happened. Also, jot down interesting words from the websites.

4. Finish reading the book and write a book review.  Use this book review template to help you.

book review

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week

word of the week 2

Topic

UK rivers and seas

river facts   – Challenge work

Health and fitness activities

heart-beats-per-minute-activity-2

heart-beats-per-minute-recording-sheet

How many squats can you do in a minute?   First I did 1233– how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 247 – How many squats did I do in total?

How many press ups can you do in a minute?   I did 1684   – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Then I did 322 – How many press ups did I do in total?

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/

Hello Class 4!

I hope you’re all keeping safe and well during this time. I was looking forward to seeing you all on Monday morning to start our Summer term. On the plus side, the weather is lovely, and you can enjoy outside safely. You’re probably all doing lots of exercise and keeping yourselves fit and healthy.

I know how much you all love doing work, so staff have been working hard to try and make this easier for you to access. I will update this page weekly with tasks and work for you to do. I know it is difficult to do work at home sometimes but its good to try and keep in some sort of routine. You can always email me if you need any help or have questions about anything and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

I remember when we brain stormed about topics that you would like to do which led to us learning about the environment last term. You also showed interest in learning about the Ocean, so I thought we would go with this idea as there are lots and lots of interesting things to learn. First, we will look at river systems and oceans around the UK!

Mr Nesbitt

Challenges

home challenges class 4

I have set up challenges like we do in the classroom when you have finished your work. I have attached everyone’s hour of code log in details so you can practice your coding skills as part of your challenges.  There is also a fun dictionary scavenger hunt attached on the challenge document as part of your literacy.

Maths

Literacy

Write a recount of what you done over your Easter. Remember important features such as:

• A title (5 w’s- When, what, who, why, where?)
  • An introduction
  • Time connectives
  • Ending
  • Diagram

Highlight these features in your writing by using different colours. You can copy the image of the recount checklist and use this to help.

Can you improve your recount? Spelling, punctuation, use of adjectives (describing words)

Spelling skills

Common exception words 3 and 4

word of the week

Topic

UK rivers and seas

Health and fitness activities

How many squats can you do in a minute?   I did 2222 – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

How many press ups can you do in a minute?   I did 3255   – how many thousands, hundreds, 10’s and ones is this?

Useful links:

Twinkl–   https://www.twinkl.co.uk/